Social Media is becoming a well-known tool in the public relations field. Through my research I compiled a list of reasons to use social media:
1. Social media is cheaper – Pretty much any social media website you plan to use is free.
2. Social media allows better targeting – Some social media sites make you approve who sees your profile. This gives you better control over who you share your information with. Facebook and Twitter are known for this.
3. Social Media is fashionable – It’s like a fashion trend that will be around for a long time. Even the most highly respected people use it.
4. Social media can reach a wide audience – Not only is it mostly free, but you can widen your target range. You will only reach so many people with a television commercial, but with social media you can reach audiences all over the globe.
5. Social media interacts with SEO – You can use keywords to make your company profile stand out from the others.
6. Social media creates long-term relationships – Social media gives you the opportunity to share your news and updates with your followers for the long term.
7. Social media allows for customer service and feedback – You can get in contact with the consumer immediately through social media. Your goal is to maintain a positive relationship with the consumer.
8. Social media creates brand loyalty – Updates on the newest brands, coupons and sales keep your customers coming back for more.
9. Social media is versatile – You can pick from a variety of sites: Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, FourSquare. If you just want people to follow you, Twitter might be your pick. If you want people to interact and advertise, Facebook would be a good tool.
10. Social media allows you to help others out – Follow other people and post interesting articles and links that your followers might find interesting.
11. Social media allows you to promote in a short and brief post – It will amaze you what 140 characters will do for your business.
In conclusion, it is time for everyone in public relations to jump on the social media bandwagon. It has a lot of good qualities that will make your promotion and interaction with customers a little more personal. If you are interested in more information on social media click here.